Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

And the unicorns have the floor Feed-icon16x16 Subscribe in a reader

Latest topics
» Mana Thistle
And the unicorns have the floor EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 5:53 pm by Boose

» Shield Sheath
And the unicorns have the floor EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 10:47 am by Boose

» Dance of the River
And the unicorns have the floor EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 3:14 pm by Boose

» Mouseguarding
And the unicorns have the floor EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 am by Boose

» Magical Healing
And the unicorns have the floor EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am by Boose

» Material: Elven Truesteel
And the unicorns have the floor EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 6:54 pm by Boose

» Vanguard Shield
And the unicorns have the floor EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 2:07 am by Boose

» Goblin Spear
And the unicorns have the floor EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 am by Boose

» Story of the Hidden Temple
And the unicorns have the floor EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:34 am by Boose

Main Logo
Main Logo
Main Logo
Main Logo

And the unicorns have the floor

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pepper
Adept
Adept
Pepper

Experience : 54

And the unicorns have the floor Empty
PostAnd the unicorns have the floor

The elusive unicorn could be found at my gaming table every other Friday night. Pretty bad ass huh? Not on the board but around it, when we were speaking out of game, like most role players who don’t have the talent or patience for interesting voices we needed a way to differentiate from our characters speaking and our real self’s speaking. Thus the unicorn was born.

Like most mythical beasts it came about accidentally. During our first session ever we were discussing something sexual as most people in their 20s and 30s do, and it wasn’t meant to be something our characters were saying but us as friends talking. 13 our youngest and most vociferous player was trying to remember something and she put her hand to her forehead. Besse the smart ass and ball buster we know (and love I guess) asked if she was becoming a unicorn, it stuck.

We would use it to make jokes about our DM Boose. The unicorn kind of infiltrated real life too. We would get in the habit of using it when talking Monday at work following a rather intense session the weekend before. As we went on we would chatter less about non-game related items and the unicorn became less of a crutch and more of a bonus.

As we have grown as gamers our talent has become a finely tuned engine. Our characters have become fully fleshed out, this includes voices and inflection. Even still the unicorn prevails (much like England, death and taxes). When in doubt the unicorn clarifies, though the gesture is more than often replaced by the word.

Now it is used more now as a jokey after thought as we have become comfortable playing pretend though it was an integral part in our first campaign. This one simple gesture allowed us to feel more comfortable in our new found paper skins. Most of us had come from theater backgrounds, it was one thing to do this on a stage after having memorized lines, but completely different when you are on someone’s leather sectional eating chips after discussing wedding plans and how you want children. This can be a stressful time, when really it’s meant to be in good fun, and the unicorn allowed us to fully express the two parts of us, and often to tell Besse to go fuck himself.

Back to top Go down
http://klphotographics.com
Share this post on: reddit

And the unicorns have the floor :: Comments

Boose
Re: And the unicorns have the floor
Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:52 am by Boose
RIP, Gary.

https://thedragonfisters.rpg-board.net/t44-gary-the-source-of-descent
ReRow
Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:36 am by ReRow
If I remember correctly Talis did miss one escape artist check, when I grabbed her. Which actually made matters worse cus I forgot that I was wearing spiked armor. I still can't believe she killed my horse just cus I threw her stupid pet cube
Shade
Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:16 am by Shade
First off, grats Pepper on completely destroying Boose and me on the number of views. Your first post alone puts all of ours total to shame.

Second, I remember that night. Especially playing Dorian who was supposed to be Skass's guardian and source of common sense. My jaw dropped and I was just staring a hole in ReRow's head! And then the sh*tstorm of Escape Artist checks that Talis had to make (and never missed a single one) with all of us trying to pin her and calm her down. One of my most favorite nights of gaming EVER!
Pepper
Post Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:44 pm by Pepper
Yeah that hands down has to be the best one.
I miss the Talis/Skass interaction. I think I might do a character mega post next week...or the one about relationships.
Boose
Post Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:17 pm by Boose
Hands down, my favorite example of the unicorn, and watching this unfold as the GM was amazing.

Besse (as Skass): Can I pet Gary?
Teagues (as Talis): ...Sure, but be gentle.
Besse: OK ... I grab it and throw him.

Silence around the entire room

Me: Wait, what?
Besse: I grab Gary and throw him.
Me: Like ... what?
Teagues: Is that for real?
Besse: No Unicorn.
Teagues: Oh! Roll initiative, mother fucker.
Post  by Sponsored content

And the unicorns have the floor

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Latest News-
Jump to: